Thursday, January 27, 2011

Civil Discourse Does Not Deny Facts

I was recently reprimanded on my facebook page for mentioning that Republicans have played a role in our current national debacle, as though mention of facts is un-civil. So I have this to say, it is time for accountability for this country. In the name of civility, we cannot ignore the fact that the Bush administration lied to us about WMD, kept the costs of the war off the books, made a mockery of our human rights record, abandoned the Geneva convention and introduced torture as an allowable strategy (then punished low ranking people for it!,) allowed the Taliban to regain a foothold in Afghanistan, and had good buddies (and lobbyists) in high places, kept ridiculously low interest rates, exported our manufacturing, broke the backs of the working class, proliferated the sale of weapons both in the country and out....the list is endless. Being civil does not mean we sweep the actual facts under the rug. The republican party is brilliant at getting its message out. Its message is largely selfish, hateful, un-Christian, while they claim the religious moral high ground. Enough is enough. I was silenced during the beginning of the latest Iraq war, by good republicans, who threatened me and harassed me when I suggested that there were no WMD. I'm not going to be silenced again, now that "civility" has become a meme the republicans will manipulate. My father was the last republican I admired. Something pitiful and sour has happened to the party of Lincoln. It's time we took a good, clear look and refuse to allow republican ideology to propagandize us and twist us up into ridiculous propositions, like trickle down. It hasn't worked in 30 years and they still want to cut taxes for the super-rich. It's un-American.

No comments:

Post a Comment